Sunday, April 12, 2009

Southside Market in Elgin, TX


After Louie Mueller, we (really I) decided that we should head down to Elgin, TX and Southside Market, the home of the hot sausage. I know, “home of the hot sausage” just sounds wrong.

Southside Market was the anti-Mueller. It was a huge, mass produced place that had the feel of a cafeteria. It did have an impressive butcher shop with all kinds of meat, but the building lacked the character of the four previous stops.

I figured “when in Rome” and stepped up to order a hot sausage. The lady pulled something out of the holding pit that would make an adult film star blush.

“Uh, do you have anything smaller?” I awkwardly asked.

What the lady put on my plate resembled a long piece of animal feces, causing JP and I to break into the Anchorman “I will not eat cat poo” routine. Luckily it tasted better. Actually it tasted pretty awesome, and had I not stuffed myself beforehand I’m sure I would have enjoyed their other offerings.

As it were, we decided to head on back to Austin, and proceeded to spend several hours in traffic with the Ike evacuees. Later that afternoon, my selfish fears came true, as the folks at Snow’s informed us that they’d made the decision not to open the next day due to the torrential rains and hurricane force winds that were projected for Lexington on Saturday morning.

Snow’s is only open on Saturday mornings from 8:30 until they sell out, usually before noon. Texas Monthly rated it as Texas’ best, so this discovery was a crushing blow to the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment