Sunday, April 12, 2009

Buzzie's Bar-B-Q in Kerrville, TX


After years of making my list of places and talking about making this trip, I was finally on my way. My first stop on the tour was Buzzie’s Bar-B-Q in Kerrville, TX. Buzzie’s was voted Top 50 in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine, but at only sixteen years in existence, it was a mere pup compared to most of the places I would visit.

In college basketball parlance, Buzzie’s was the Athletes in Action of the barbecue tour. It was an exhibition game before the regular season started, providing a nice little warm-up for the real competition ahead.

Make no mistake about it, Buzzie’s serves good barbecue. I had the brisket plate, which came out with a nice smoky flavor. However the meat was pretty dry, a theme I would find with most brisket. The potato salad was amazing, with egg, onion, pepper and pimento all working together. A fire burned down the original location, so the place had a very modern, almost sterile feel to it. If you happen to find yourself in Kerrville, I would certainly head over to Buzzie’s, but don’t go out of your way to make the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment